Before we dive into Outlook PST Repair lets quickly cover Scanpst.exe. Scanpst.exe is a free tool shipped with Microsoft Outlook 2003/2007/2010 which lets you repair corrupt PST files.
On my Office 2010 installation, ScanPST can be found in the following path:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
Below is a screenshot of ScanPST.
Stellar Phoenix labs performed testing with ScanPST and from their testing they discovered that the free PST repair tool is capable of repairing PST files with only minor structural errors. PST files with severe correction or PST files where the indexing table is completely removed, ScanPST will not repair the file.
Stellar Phoenix claim that their tool Outlook PST Repair v4.5 can repair a corrupt PST file and bring it back to a consistent state regardless how severe. I questioned this with Stellar Phoenix as 100% of corruption is a big claim however the company was confident to back it. All content within the corrupt the PST file which is in its valid state can be recovered. Data which has been lost due to corruption is gone, no tool will be able to recover this.
Outlook PST Repair v4.5 has been designed to look like Microsoft Outlook to provide users and administrators with a familiar user experience. When a corrupt PST loaded, all content which is still readable inside the corrupt PST file will be displayed. Companies have the flexibility of recovering individual emails, attachments, sub folders or entire PST files.
Below is a screenshot of the the Outlook PST Repair tool:
To begin using the tool simply the Open an Outlook File to Repair.
Select the location of the PST file which is corrupt. In my case I have a corrupt PST file called test.pst.
The tool displays all data which is now recoverable. The user is able to browse mail items, calendars, contacts, tasks, notes everything which can be displayed in Outlook using the Outlook PST Repair tool.
The user is able to do the following things once a corrupt PST file has been loaded in Outlook PST Repair v4.5:
- Export all content which is readable within the corrupt PST into a new PST file.
- Export select content from a corrupt PST file by selecting what content they wish to export.
- Extract attachments from emails
- Export individual emails to MSG or EML format
- Single User Licence ($129 USD). Users receive a key which they use to activate the Outlook PST Repair tool. Once activated the key will only ever work on the Windows instance in which Outlook PST Repair tool was activated. In the event the user purchases a new computer or re-installs Windows, the user must contact support to transfer the licence.
- Technician Licence (299 USD). The technician licence can be used unlimited times on different workstations. However a USB key must be connected to the machine to activate the licence and perform the recovery. Only one recovery can be performed at a time. One technician licence must be purchased per office. Stellar Phoenix ship the USB key to the customer upon purchase.
For more information or to obtain a copy of Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair please visit the following website: