Sunday, August 29, 2010

Unable to resolve WPAD

I had a problem where I wanted to configure WPAD DNS lookups for a company however when I added the WPAD record to my primary dns zone I was unable to resolve it on Windows Server 2003.

I found out that the any host A records containing "WPAD" or "ISATAP" are blacklisted by default on Windows Server 2003 DNS. To remove the blacklist on every DNS server in your organisation navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Parameters\GlobalQueryBlockList



Remove where it says WPAD from this registry key and then restart the DNS service. Repeat this for every DNS server in your organisation.

4 comments:

  1. Good stuff!
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good One
    Thank you for sharing. Helped to fix the problem

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for this solution. It really helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it supported to render wpad.dat file in IIS at CAS server (Ex2010)?

    ReplyDelete